Monday, November 13, 2017

A Day at the Deer Farm


We had only been in Taupo, New Zealand for 2 weeks.  But we needed some time to play with other homeschoolers and explore this beautiful town that we now called home.

I noticed a Facebook post on the Taupo Homeschoolers page about a DEER FARM!  I thought what the heck!  Little did I know, we would be in for a BIG treat!



*Side note*
I discovered this day that I need to give myself a good hour when driving anywhere!  We were completely lost looking for the Deer Farm.  Google Maps got us to the vicinity but couldn't get us to the exact mark!  #frustrating

I didn't feel so bad when I found 3 more minivan mommas driving around with the same look that I had on my face.  We all caravaned together and made it to the farm...15 minutes late.  Not too bad, right?


When we pulled into the farm, I couldn't believe my eyes!  Really!?!  Was that an airplane?  

Mr. Murray Mutuschka not only raised deer but he was a lover of airplanes, a self-taught artist, and a grandfather!  When we shook his hand during his welcome, he had that "grandfather twinkle" in his eye.  

Mr. Murray showed the group his art studio where he worked with bronze to sculpt deer and other large land animals.
He also painted a number of oil paintings...7 were hanging on the walls for his 7 grandchildren.  

We were later taken to this amazing cabin passed his farm home.  


He showed us his collection of deer antlers along with 2 ships that he had built out of "rubbish" (aka garbage)


After admiring this fantastic cabin, we headed out to see the deer, bison, miniature horses and even a zebra!  And my oldest learner found a lab pup named Maona...he was given the honor to walk her around on her leash!  What a treat for this animal lover.




We even got a chance to sit inside a few more planes!  My learners were in HEAVEN!




As if Mr. Murray hadn't done enough, we ended our field trip fun with a hayride pulled by a tractor!!  And these two guys didn't want to see us go!


Yep!  That was a sheep and Maona chancing us all the way back to the front gate.  Don't see that everyday in America!

Our first field trip, in Taupo, New Zealand, will go down in our homeschooling history books!  We are so excited to see what adventures await us and I am sure you are eager to see them too.   So be sure and stay tuned. 

Happy Learning with your Litte Ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Host a Homeschool Workshop

I remember going to my first homeschool conference in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I walked up to a GIANT convention center and opened the doors into...