Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Small boy with the BIGGEST heart!



Last week at the park - "Mom...I decided that I shouldn't SELL these awesome rocks that I found, I should just GIVE them away to people here because that would make their heart happy!" 

A few days back - "Mom!  We should take some muffins over to a neighbor.  I bet they would like that!"



Yesterday morning, peeking out the kitchen window - "Mom!  It's so cold outside and those guys are working super hard!  We should bring them something, like hot chocolate!"

These are the sweet words from my big 6 year old! 

His personality is developing and changing daily, sometimes it's lovely, sometimes it's aweful - but his love for helping others remains...as you can clearly see and hear in above.  

So today instead of sticking to THIS:
At our Morning Meeting, I write out a list with J of his daily tasks and goals.  This was todays.


We did THIS:




 We measured and poured and spooned 10 servings of HOT Oatmeal into styrofoam coffee cups, (added some butter and brown sugar) and drove around our area of Austin and handed them to the Homeless that were sitting at the intersections in the icy weather.


My heart was FULL and so happy!!  What a memory made based on the sweetness of J's heart for others.  

We came home and had a not so good afternoon - LONG story! - Tired kids to blame...

And after a nasty, long afternoon of crying kids, my heart exploded with Joy 
when the first thing my 4 year old told his Daddy was 
"we made oatmeal for people today!"

My kids have a pretty, darn perfect world...but beyond this happy house, they need to see that others are in need.  And we can serve, help, and show love even if it's a small cup of warm oatmeal on a cold day.

Thanks Jax for your inspiration and love for others - 

"If you don't like the way the world is, you change it. You have an obligation to change it. You just do it one step at a time."

-Marian Edelman Wright



No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Host a Homeschool Workshop

I remember going to my first homeschool conference in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I walked up to a GIANT convention center and opened the doors into...