Thursday, June 19, 2014

They whistle while they work:0) - Chores!

Wanna give you the run down on chores around this White House.  Seriously, they get it done, no whining, and BOY does it help this momma! 
When we first started chores, I had LOTS of whining.  But I keep the consistency and now it's just part of our daily schedule.  

Added bonus = you work hard, you get paid, you save, and you spend.  A great life skill in the works.  
(Thanks Jenny S. at http://vintageburlapbarn.blogspot.com/ for enlightening that topic for me)

Here's our system...it works for us!  We've used this system for about 1.5 years. 
I printed these charts off this fabulous blog:

Each card has a squared piece of Velcro on it that attaches to the Chart.

Some cards we use, some we don't...I've even printed others to work for jobs I need help with...like moping!  Yes!  Both boys love to mop!
Another Example: watering the yard...my 3 yr old LIVES for that job!  Yes, he comes in soaking wet, but done and had fun!
N = red (shorter); J = blue (taller) - hanging on pantry door bc we can see and everyday = consistency!
 While the boys are cleaning up the breakfast table, I slap these cards onto each of the kids chart.  Quick, easy and set up perfectly based on our schedule for the day.  If we have a busy morning, I only post 2 chores.  If we are headed out to dinner that night, we won't have time for "earn" chores.  They do get Saturday and Sunday's off.

*These boys have been "in training" since we moved into the house; and I can proudly say "I have released them!"  After showing and doing each chore; making sure they understand how I would like it done...these boys work together and get it done.  They know where their cleaning tools are and how to use them the right way!  Life is good...when you have good help!
  
(And of course they are rewarded...keep reading!)
J has brushed his teeth (ALWAYS the first morning routine)...he moved it down to #1 box.

I still have to help N brush up.  
 SHEET DAY! 
J takes off sheets and N tosses them into the laundry basket.  Team WORK!

I have added an old belt onto our basket.  N pretends he is a horse pulling a cart!

Working on Mommy and Daddy's sheets

Chore done!  Move the picture card done.

N's afternoon chore is to put up the silverware.


If they get ALL their morning, afternoon and "earned" chores done, I pay them a quarter.  

Usually once a month, we all go spend that hard earned money.  They already do a great job saving it also!  Soon, we will get into donations and giving.

**I used a selfie picture system with J when he was younger.  If that interests you, take a peek back at this post**

And there you have it!  I would love to hear any ideas that you have about chores in your home!  Feel free to share in the comment section below!

Happy Learning with your Little Ones!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been successful in getting P to consistently help with chores. I might use something similar to this and see if it works on girls, too. :P

    ReplyDelete

How to Host a Homeschool Workshop

I remember going to my first homeschool conference in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I walked up to a GIANT convention center and opened the doors into...