Friday, September 26, 2014

Johnny Appleseed Day...yep it was today!

Happy Johnny Appleseed Day!  

And just how did I know this...well...I teach a Reader's Theater class with our Homeschooling Group and just happened to pick a script on Johnny Appleseed for my advanced readers 
(which J is apart of).

Afterwards, J came home and said "WE HAVE TO REMEMBER Sept. 26th and mark our calendar to celebrate Johnny Appleseed's Birthday!"  

So we did - but it's apple season, folks!  Use these ideas all FALL long!

And this is a quick post about how we celebrated it (while learning at the same time, of course).

Started off the morning with some Apple Muffins and Apple Juice!  Not a bad way to wake up, huh!



We even delivered a few muffins to the elderly couple that lives across the street.  Three boys, with warm muffins, knocking on your door created BIG smiles!  
I love seeing that.


After our morning walk, we came in and did some taste testing.

I hope that I can describe this:

I bought 3 apples; Gala, Honeycrisp and Golden Delicious.  After cutting them up, I left 3 with the skin on and 3 naked (no skin)

Each boy tried 1 apple slice with the skin.  I asked them to remember the taste and which one they REALLY liked best.

This is 2 of the 3 apple slices. 

Our next test, was the naked apples/no skin.  As they ate the apple slice, they tried to guess which one it was.  And they did pretty darn good!  

We munched on apples while we watch this YouTube video on Johnny Appleseed.


A quick workbox for J was putting together a "broken" poem about apples.

It might sound familiar to you:
"Away up high in the apple tree.
Two apples smiled down at me.
I shook that tree as hard as I could.
Down came the apples and 
mmmm they were good!"




And to end our morning of learning...J and I made a homemade apple pie 
(while the little guys napped)

We followed this GREAT and super, easy recipe off of Pinterest.

It had great picture support for this lil learner so I didn't have to read the recipe.  He did, I checked it and we cooked!

Making memories and our first apple pie!



Happy Fall Yall!

Happy Learning with your Little Ones~

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Host a Homeschool Workshop

I remember going to my first homeschool conference in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I walked up to a GIANT convention center and opened the doors into...